Old-established manufacturers of agricultural machinery, from 1951 to 1954 Glas built the Goggo scooter, and from 1955 to 1969 the small Goggomobil with 247cc, 296cc and 395cc two-cylinder two-stroke engines.
In 1958 appeared the first "real" Glas cars with 584cc and 688cc ohv flat-twin engines. Bigger models with ohc four-cylinder in-line engines of 992cc, 1189cc, 1290cc and 1682cc followed. The last Glas-built cars had ohc 2580cc and 2982cc V-8 engines, beautiful sporting four-seater coupé bodywork by Frua, and De Dion rear axles. Unfortunately these superb cars led the company into financial difficulties.
Glas could not afford to spend millions of Deutschmarks on the more up-to-date equipment needed for economical production of these high-class luxury cars.
In 1961 BMW took over the Glas works at Dingolfing